Firemen were called to a home in Sheffield at 4:30am yesterday to tackle a house fire apparently caused by the family's cat, Smog, walking over the cooker and accidentally switching it on.
A plastic toolbox which had been left on top of the cooker had caught fire, leading to further damage.
family and Smog fortunately managed to escape to safety, the fire
service reported, and Smog is reported to be doing fine after a check-up
at the vets.
If this genuine incident seems strangely familiar,
it may be because it was remarkably close to the story of the children's
book 'Mog's Christmas Calamity' by Judith Kerr, featuring a cat with a
very similar name.
You may have seen the story brought to life on
television recently as Sainsbury's made it into an animated/live action
short film for its Christmas advert this year.
The book version of
the story is currently being sold by Sainsbury's and all the related
profits are being donated to Save the Children. So far nearly £900,000
has been raised for the charity's UK child literacy campaign.
Find out more about Trust A Trader with the Trust A Trader Wikipedia Page.